Tuesday, March 25, 2014

21 Day Fix, Day 16: Pumpkin Coffee & Extra Energy



If you want something you’ve never had, you have to do something you’ve never done

DAY 16 WORKOUT: UPPER BODY FIX

I think this is becoming my favorite workout. I love feeling my muscles quivering when I am challenging myself to push more than ever before. I’ve made so much progress in this workout alone in the past 3 weeks. In Week 1, I did this without any weights. In Week 2, I used 5 pound weights. And today, in Week 3, I used 10 pound weights! So encouraging!

DAY 16 FOOD

Same spinach/feta/egg white breakfast with a whole wheat English muffin that I had yesterday. I could get used to eating that everyday- tastes great and I love how it starts my body off right. I also bought some pumpkin spice k-cups from Dunkin Donuts. Yes, I know its March. But they were on sale for $5.99 (presumably because they have to get rid of the stock leftover from October), and it was a delicious way to jazz up my morning coffee without adding calories or more creamer/sweetener. Also, I drank this Dunkin Donuts coffee in a Starbucks mug...I'm so rebellious.



For lunch I had shakeology with a combination of strawberries, banana, and blackberries for something different. It actually had a really nice flavor! I didn't have my shakeology until like 3pm today- just wasn't hungry. Guess my body has finally adjusted to eating less calories.

For dinner, I made homemade vegetable soup because its cold and cloudy and gray here in Charlotte today… Well, it was until dinner time, when it was actually time to eat the soup and the sun came out... Anyways, I usually put lots of boxed chicken or vegetable stock in my soups, but that clearly is loaded with sodium, so instead, I used a combination between san marzano tomatoes that I mashed and about 3 cups water. For the vegetables, I planned to add a bag of frozen mixed vegetables- easy peasy. But wait, the mixed vegetables were primarily peas, corn, and lima beans. Unfortunately, these are considered a yellow serving for whatever reason and not green. I was out of yellows for the day (breakfast English muffin took them all up) so I had to use fresh vegetables that actually were counted as green. This was more prep than expected- chopping and sautéing vegetables until they were soft and tender, but its ok...I threw in some seasonings and fresh herbs and let it all warm through in the CrockPot until dinner time. While it tasted very fresh, it reminded me of the pasta sauce I made last week for spaghetti, except more watery. And it was just bland. I guess I never realized how much salt goes into something like soup to give it the flavor it needs. Anniston ate a bowl for dinner and seemed to really like it... For me it was just blah- not my favorite meal of the program.

OTHER THOUGHTS

For some reason, I feel like I’ve been more productive since I’ve been on this program.
Maybe its just coincidence, but then again, maybe there’s something more to it. I definitely have more energy than I ever have. I didn’t expect that because thought I was pretty dependent on coke and/or tea to sustain me in the afternoon and evening. Now I just have 1 cup of coffee in the morning and have energy all day long. I really think this is a result of exercising, eating healthy whole foods, and shakeology. This extra energy has helped me tackle more chores around the house during the day and I’ve also seemed to be more engaged and energetic in playing with Anniston. When I started this program I had hoped that making this change would help me be a better wife and mom, and I think that’s coming to fruition!

No comments:

Post a Comment