One of the things I enjoy most is taking a recipe I love and converting it into a healthy, substantial meal. Fried chicken is one of those comfort foods everyone loves, but clearly coating chicken in white flour and frying it in oil isn’t the best choice. So how can we mimic the taste and crunch but eliminate the fat and calories? Aahhhh love a challenge.
Pecan Crusted Un-fried Chicken Strips
Fix Portions (per serving: 1 serving = 3 chicken strips): 1 yellow, 1 blue, 1 red
· 1 chicken breast
· 2 slices whole wheat bread
· 2 blue containers pecans
· ¼ cup Dijon mustard
· 1 tsp honey
1. In a food processor, finely chop bread and pecans (until you get the consistency of breadcrumbs)
2. Slice chicken breast into 6 strips
3. Combine Dijon mustard and honey in a shallow dish
4. Coat each chicken strip in honey-mustard mixture, then roll in pecan-breadcrumb mixture
5. Take a cooling rack (like that you would use to cool cookies) and place that inside a cookie sheet. Place chicken strips on rack and bake at 400 for 20-30 minutes
6. Serve alongside vegetables or add to your favorite salad.