For as far back as I can remember, I have always been a Rachael Ray fan. I have her pots and pans, her cooking utensils, her knife set. I watch her show everyday and subscribe to Everyday with Rachael Ray magazine. Every single recipe she creates is delicious- every.single.one. She is basically my cooking idol.
So last month, her magazine did an entire issue dedicated to breakfast recipes. It was basically the best edition of her magazine ever- I’m saving the eniter magazine for future reference.
One recipe in the magazine was for Brunch Burgers, an ideal breakfast for dinner hybrid dish. I loved the concept and knew with a little tweaking I could make it 21-day fix approved. Here is the revised recipe- it is delicious and you can cook it all in one pan-easy clean up!
Fix Portions (per burger- recipe makes 2 burgers): 1 yellow, 2 red, 1 blue
· ½ lb ground turkey (93% fat free)
· 4 slices turkey bacon
· 2 eggs
· 2 teaspoons 100% pure maple syrup
· 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
· 1 whole wheat English muffin
· 2 slices cheese (cheddar or provolone)
· Black Pepper
· Onion powder
· Garlic powder
· Dried sage
· Cayenne pepper
1. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high
2. Cook turkey bacon on each side. Brush each slice with maple syrup and sprinkle with black pepper. Remove from pan
3. Fry eggs until over-easy (leaving the yolk runny). Remove from pan.
4. In a bowl, season ground turkey with sage, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, and black pepper (I just eyeball it…probably about 1 tsp each). Mix into meat and form into patties (tip: make a thumbprint in the center of each patty- this allows for your patties to cook evenly because they rise in the middle when heated)
5. Mix 1 tsp syrup with grainy mustard.
6. Cook patties on both sides in cast iron skillet until cooked through. As they are cooking, brush each side with the maple-mustard mixture
7. Place one slice of cheese on each patty. Cover with foil until cheese melts (about 30 seconds)
8. Toast English muffin in toaster
9. Spread remaining maple-mustard on English muffin
10. Assemble your burgers: muffin, bacon, burger, egg. Sprinkle with ground black pepper and serve.