Tuesday, March 18, 2014

21 Day Fix, Day 9: Sick and Still Striving



Give everything you’ve got…and then a little bit more

And today I had nothing, literally nothing. I started getting a sore throat last night and I tried to nip it in the bud by going to bed earlier and taking some NyQuil. I was up all throughout the night with sore throat, ear and sinus pressure, fever, aches, chills, all that fun stuff, which unfortunately continued throughout the day. I spent the majority of today in bed or cuddled on the couch with Anniston watching the same episode of Bubble Guppies three times in a row. Being sick is miserable to begin with and I’m extra irritated because I’ve been working so hard on this program, I don’t need something like this to set me back.

I did my best to hang in there and follow my eating and exercise plan, although I honestly didn’t feel like eating or doing anything.


DAY 9 FOOD

I hate when you’re sick because nothing tastes good and my throat feels like a knife when I try to swallow. But, hey, I didn’t have to worry about food cravings today.  

I had some whole wheat toast with peanut butter and banana for breakfast. Then I took a 3-hour nap with Anniston, then got up and drank Shakeology. Just plain shakeology today because it’s not like I can taste anything anyway.

Later, I put Anniston to bed around 7pm, and then laid down myself, just to rest for a few seconds…and I ended up falling asleep for 2 hours. When I woke up, I was starving, Josh and I made dinner together. We made chicken bacon paninis, minus the bread. In other words, I cooked a chicken breast on the Foreman, brushed maple-mustard on it (grainy mustard mixed with maple syrup), then topped with turkey bacon, tomato, sautéed mushrooms and onions, and melted provolone cheese. Served with a side of zucchini. I could actually taste this tonight and it was very good- hit the spot. It was so filling, I couldn’t even finish all of it and it fueled me to do my late night workout.

WORKOUT: UPPER FIX

I finally found some strength to put in my DVD around 10pm. I approached the workout with the mindset that I was just going to give it a try- it would have been so easy just to skip today’s workout, and I have an extremely legit excuse. But, remember what I said last week about being better than my excuses? I was determined to try this workout today despite the odds stacked against me. A few minutes into the workout, I began to feel better. As the oxygen got to my muscles, it was the best I had felt in the past 24 hours. I was surprisingly able to finish the entire workout and not cheat anything- I even held an elbow plank for 30 seconds- new personal best! While it did help that the last 13 minutes was laying on my back doing lifts and crunches, I truly gave it everything I had and a little bit more!

OTHER THOUGHTS

Despite the fact that I’ve slept all day, I’m still sick and exhausted, so I’m off to bed. See y’all tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment