Wednesday, March 19, 2014

21 Day Fix, Day 10: My Jeans Are Falling Off!



Be better than you were yesterday

I found this quote particularly relevant to my journey today. As you may recall, I was miserably sick yesterday, slept most of the day, and toughed out my workout around 10pm. This morning, I felt better, still a sore throat, major sinus pressure, and overall icky feeling, but comparably better than yesterday. So I’m better than I was yesterday, physically speaking, in more ways than one.
-
DAY 10 WORKOUT: LOWER FIX

Last week, I did this workout with resistances bands, and today I used weights. I felt like I got much more out of it with weights- I could really feel my muscles shaking and burning. This is a tough workout but I’m so optimistic about how it’s helping recuperate my decade-long struggle with quad/knee issues… and for that I love this workout, despite the sweat and pain.

DAY 10 FOOD

I started off with a simple bowl of oatmeal with cinnamon and maple syrup. Because Anniston likes to eat everything I’m eating, and because I didn’t want her to eat out of my bowl today and get my sicky germs, I made her a bowl of oatmeal too. So we sat side-by-side on the couch watching Nick Jr. eating oatmeal. Not sure why I thought allowing my one year old to eat oatmeal on the couch was a good idea. I have oats everywhere- on the couch, on the carpet, on my clothes, in my hair... But hey, at least we both had a healthy breakfast!

I ate 1 hard boiled egg before my workout just for a little extra protein (2 eggs counts as 1 red serving, so this was ½ a red). It gave me the little extra boost of energy I needed.

I finished my workout right around noon, so it was time for shakeology. Today I chose to go all out and make a banana split shakeology. I used ½ purple container strawberries, ½ purple container pineapple, and ½ banana. It was pretty good- great mid-day treat!

I still had ½ a red serving hanging around (since I only ate 1 hard boiled egg earlier in the day). I ate 3 deli ham slices (6 slices count as 1 red)- kept me going until dinner.

Ever since I saw an olive garden ad on my facebook page the other day, I have really wanted some pasta. I decided to make spaghetti tonight with whole grain noodles and homemade marinara. I’ve always done a hybrid of homemade and jarred sauce, but I went full out homemade tonight with san marzano tomatoes and everything. I put a green container’s worth of celery, onions, and carrots in the sauce as well. I also added some lean ground turkey for protein (1 red container’s worth). I portioned out the pasta in a yellow container. Then, because I still had a blue left, I topped it with shredded Italian cheese. This was great. The homemade sauce was a success, and despite me thinking that the yellow portion of noodles “looked” small, it was more than enough and I felt very satisfied with dinner.  

I have discovered that some whole grain pastas are better than others. Some have a very grainy texture and pronounced flavor, whereas others you can’t tell the difference between the whole grain version and the starchy original. My favorite brand I have found so far is the Fit & Active 100% Whole Grain Thin Spaghetti. You can buy this at Aldi for less than $1. Sometimes healthier food is more expensive, but this is the same price as regular noodles so it’s an ideal swap.

At our church community group tonight, I had a cup of hot cinnamon chai tea. It was delicious. Didn’t even need a drop of sweetener. It’s apparently available at Fresh Market, so I may be making a trip there in the near future.

OTHER THOUGHTS

MAJOR HEADLINE NEWS. This is the first time in years that I’ve put on a pair of jeans and NOT had a muffin top! Oh my gosh. Y’all don’t even know the number of times I’ve had to change my shirt in an effort to conceal my muffin top.  It was so freeing to be able to put on any shirt I wanted today and not worry about it!

And…wait for it…wait for it… I can take my skinny jeans off without undoing the button or zipper! Seriously???!!! We are not allowed to weigh or measure ourselves until the end of the program, but this has to indicate some progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment