Sunday, March 23, 2014

21 Day Fix, Day 12-14: Weekend Update



You can make time or make excuses.

This was one of those non-stop weekends where it would have been easy to make an excuse to break the eating plan and skip workouts. But despite the whirlwind of activities, we chose to make time to exercise and to make healthy eating choices fitting within our Fix plan. Here are some highlights from this weekend:

FRIDAY, DAY 12

We were out-of-town for the day, so both Josh and I had to get in our Total Body Cardio Fix before we left. And let me tell you, its not easy to do the total body cardio fix by itself, much less when you simultaneously are supervising/entertaining your child.  But we did it, despite the weird looks coming our way from Anniston.

Friday night, the 21-day fix went out to dinner. We went to Bonefish Grill. I ordered the wood-fire grilled salmon with asparagus and their vegetable of the day (chickpeas with spinach and tomatoes- which I’m not sure if chickpeas is a green, yellow, or blue- because, although our waitress called them a vegetable, I’m don’t think it counts as green… beans and peas are yellow, but hummus is blue. So yeah, I have no idea). Anyways, our waitress was so sweet to make sure they cooked our food without adding butter and salt. And we said NO to Bang Bang Shrimp, crabcakes, and that amazing fresh bread with pesto olive oil. Didn’t help that they sat us at the table right next to the kitchen where we had to see at least two dozen loaves of fresh bread being carried past our table as we gazed longingly at it. Nonetheless, we stuck to our guns and enjoyed a delicious, healthy, fix-approved dinner. 



SATURDAY, DAY 13

If I thought the loaves of bread were a tough temptation to exist, I put myself in an even more tempting situation the next day. I was coordinating a brunch event for all the women at our church. Bad time to be on 21-Day Fix, right? Well, yes and no. Of course I had to pass on the donuts, cinnamon roll cake, and other assorted yummy pastries, but one of the women made ham and cheese quiche without salt! Shout out to Liz for saving brunch for me! The quiche only had ham, eggs, cheese, and milk (so 2 reds, 1 blue, and 1 yellow substitute). I didn’t eat the crust since it was white flour, but the quiche filling was delicious. I also had strawberries, grapes, and some nonfat plain greek yogurt. I tried a mimosa with 100% orange juice and champagne (another yellow substitute) and I only took 1 sip because it tasted too sweet to me- what is happening to my life?!?!

I did my “Dirty 30” workout mid-afternoon. This workout is probably the most challenging because it works everything that is already sore from the rest of the week. But, this was the first time I’ve switched to 10lb weights instead of 5lbs on some exercises, so I felt encouraged that I’m getting stronger and continuing to push myself.

Then my dog broke off her leash and decided to wade in the retention pond next to our house. She came back absolutely covered in muddy grossness. So I pretty much had another workout bathing her- lets call it a different version of Dirty 30 lol, I’ll show myself out now…

After running errands that night, I made a giant salad with grilled chicken breast and Djion vinaigrette (from the fix book). Tasted great!


SUNDAY, DAY 14

Well, since I learned my lesson about not eating breakfast from last Sunday’s debacle, I made sure to take something with me to eat on the way to church this morning. I made a whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter, honey, and banana. It was awesome. Although, I really really miss eating an English muffin with butter and jelly (polaner all-fruit, so technically its better than jelly). Seriously, I think I crave that more than a cookies.

When we got home from church, we were all so exhausted from running everywhere and not getting home until 2:30am Friday night that all 3 of us took a 3 hour nap. When we woke up, it was pretty much dinner time so I started making that.

I made stuffed peppers- filled with ground turkey, mushrooms, peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, cheese, cumin, Italian seasoning, and fresh parsley. I had to adapt my usual recipe by eliminating breadcrumbs and reducing the amount of cheese.. It got a little watery at the bottom of the peppers- I think we didn’t have any breadcrumbs to absorb the moisture of the vegetables. Nonetheless, it was a very filling dinner that checked off a lot of my portions- 1 red, 1 blue, and 3 green.

We capped off the night with our Yoga Fix and shakeology for dessert: chocolate-strawberry! Mmm, mmm…

OTHER THOUGHTS

I’m going to try to go back to daily posts now that the crazy weekend is over. I will probably put together a quick Week 2 Review sometime as well. 

We are headed into our third and final week friends! Its gone by so fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment