I found this recipe on my computer I had written nearly a year ago for 21-Day Fix but never posted it- aahhh! So I made it the other night for dinner and figured now would be a good time to share it with you- Better late than never, right? :)
I personally love this recipe because it gives you tons of flavor- who says eating right has to be bland?!? Plus, you can customize it to your liking- you can choose the proteins and control the heat level. And, everything cooks in ONE pan, so it makes for easy clean-up!
This one is definitely going back on our regular meal rotation now that I’ve rediscovered it! Hope y’all enjoy it too.
Yield: 4-6 servings
21 Day Fix Portions (per serving): 1 yellow, 1 red, 1 green
- 1, 8-oz package of Uncle Ben’s Whole Grain Brown Ready Rice (You can use regular brown rice too- I just like that this cooks in 90 seconds)
- 4 red containers protein of choice (mix-and-match as desired): diced chicken breast, shrimp, and/or all-natural turkey or pork sausage)
- 1½ green container (1½ cup) bell pepper (any color), diced
- 1½ green container (1½ cup) fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 green container (1 cup) onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or grated)
- Original hot sauce (to taste)
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce (I recommend Lea & Perrins becuase its all natural ingredients and not made with corn syrup- read your labels!)
- 2 tbsp pre-made or homemade cajun seasoning (2 tsp each garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, dried thyme, black pepper, cayenne pepper, plus ½ tsp salt)
- In a saute pan, brown protein over medium-high heat (I would do sausage first, then chicken, then shrimp). Be sure to season the chicken and shrimp with cajun seasoning. *You might need to add a little Extra Virgin Olive Oil to your pan in between meats*. Remove proteins from pan and place in a bowl and cover with foil to keep warm
- In the same pan, drizzle a little more EVOO and reduce heat to medium/medium-low. Saute onions, peppers, and garlic until tender. Season with hot sauce as desired.
- Add the tomatoes into the pan and allow the tomatoes to heat through.
- Cook the rice according to package instructions, then add it to the pan.
- Add the cooked protein back to the pan as well
- Give it a good stir so that everything is evenly combined. Add more hot sauce and worcestershire to taste.
- Use a GREEN container (or 1 cup) to scoop out each portion