You can have lasagna on 21-Day Fix??? Yes, yes you can!
I have a favorite lasagna recipe I always make for dinner parties, potlucks, taking people meals after they have babies, etc. It just needed a little modifying so that I could enjoy it myself, while keeping in line with the 21-Day Fix eating plan.
21-Day Fix Portions:
Okay, so here’s what the official eating plan tells you to do when eat a meat lasagna- It says to portion it using a green container but count it as 2 yellow, 1 red. With this particular recipe, it seems more logical in my head to still use the green container for portion control, but instead count 1 yellow, 1 red, 1 green, 1 blue- that’s what I would personally count, but I think you will be fine checking off either of these portion recommendations.
- Whole wheat lasagna noodles (8 if you want 2 layers, 12 if you want 3 layers)
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1½ jars clean pasta sauce (I like Classico. If you want it extra saucy, use 2 full jars. If you like less sauce, you can get by with 1 jar)
- 1 carton cottage cheese
- 1 8oz. package shredded mozzarella or italian blend cheese
- ¾ cup real shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 green container (combined) finely chopped celery, onion, carrot
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup red wine (optional, for pan deglazing)
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- Italian seasoning
- Boil water for noodles (add a splash of extra virgin olive oil so they don’t stick together). Cook noodles according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, in a dutch oven, brown ground turkey. Season with italian seasoning and remove from pan.
- Add a drizzle of EVOO to the same pan. Saute vegetables and garlic until tender.
- Return the ground turkey to the pan. Add the wine to deglaze the pan and allow wine to reduce.
- Stir in pasta sauce and parsley and simmer until heated through. Feel free to adjust sauce seasonings to taste (you can use garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, etc.)
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg until well beaten
- Add the cottage cheese, 1 cup of the mozzarella, ½ cup parmesan, and a generous sprinkle of italian seasoning. Stir to combine with the egg until everything is well blended.
- When the noodles have finished boiling, rinse with cold water and pat dry completely using kitchen towels.
- Begin the lasagna layering process in a lightly-greased 13x9 pan: Sauce, noodles, cheese mixture, repeat.
- Once you have added the final layer, pour any remaining sauce over top.
- Then sprinkle remaining 1 cup mozzarella and ¼ cup parmesan on the top.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375 for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and continue cooking an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese on the top is bubbly.