Monday, June 2, 2014

Market Hash

On Mother’s Day this year, we were visiting my parents in Nashville, TN and went to this amazing breakfast and brunch restaurant called First Watch. First Watch actually originated in Florida where I grew up, but it had been about 10 years since I dined there and was so excited to go back this time! And it didn’t let me down- in fact it was better than i remember!


The dish I ordered was called market hash. It was to die for- and it didn’t break the 21-day fix eating plan either- woohoo!


So because it was so delicious and the nearest First Watch is hours away from my current home in Charlotte, i was determined to create a copycat version of it in my own kitchen. Now, its not exactly spot on to what I ate that day, but its pretty close and quite delcious, if I do say so myself… great for breakfast or lunch...or hey, even dinner too! 


Market Hash

Yield: 1 serving
Fix portions: 1 yellow, 1 red, 1 green, ½ blue


Ingredients
  • 1 yellow container diced potatoes (I used frozen “southern cut” diced potatoes I found at publix. As with all frozen veggies, make sure you read the label so that the only ingredient is the actual food itself, in this case potatoes… Or course you could use a regular potato, but the frozen ones are a quicker option)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 green container mixed red bell pepper, mushrooms, spinach (or kale)
  • ½ blue container goat cheese
  • Garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper to taste


Directions

  1. Cook potato according to package instructions (for the ones I used, I followed the instructions on the bag for cooking them in a skillet in a couple tbsp water instead of oil). Season with garlic & onion powder and black pepper (you can also add a dash of salt if you want)
  2. Meanwhile, saute spinach (or kale), bell pepper, and mushroom in a separate skillet. Season with garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper to taste
  3. Once the potatoes are done, transfer the veggies into the potato skillet and mix to combine. Top with goat cheese crumbles. Turn off the heat and cover the skillet with a lid to stay warm.
  4. In the available skillet, fry 2 eggs
  5. Once the eggs are cooked, transfer the hash to a plate and top with the eggs.





1 comment: