I've probably tried a dozen recipes for stuffed peppers and just couldn't find the right one- some are so watery, some lack flavor, and some are stuffed with filler, unhealthy ingredients.
I was about to give up on my perpetual pursuit to pin down the perfect pepper recipe (try saying that 5 times fast, lol) and then I got a great deal on multi-colored bell peppers at the grocery store, so I decided to give it one more shot. Josh was less than thrilled that I was attempting yet another stuffed pepper recipe, so we agreed, if this one doesn't work, we can throw in the towel on this meal.
So for this last and final go-round, I decided to combine the pros from all the recipes I've tried up to this point, and of course, make sure its fix-approved. And the results turned out great- try it for yourself!
Yield: 4 peppers
Fix Portions (per pepper): 2 green, 1 red, ½ yellow, ½ blue
- 4 bell peppers (color of your choice)
- ½ pound 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 green container (about 1 cup) onions, chopped
- 2 yellow containers (about 1 cup) cooked brown rice
- 2 blue containers shredded cheddar cheese (I like Kraft triple cheddar)
- 1 tbsp each ground cumin, paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp tabasco (more or less to taste)
- ½ tsp salt (optional)
- Cook rice according to package instructions
- In a skillet with a little EVOO, saute onion and garlic until tender. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In same skillet, brown ground turkey
- Meanwhile, chop the tops off bell peppers. Heat a large pot of water to boiling.
- Boil peppers for 3 minutes and remove. Drain on paper towels
- Open can of tomatoes and separate the tomatoes from the juice/sauce its in- but save the juice and spread it in the bottom of a small pyrex baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground turkey, sauteed onions/garlic, 1 blue container cheese, 2 yellow containers rice, diced tomatoes, tabasco, and seasoning. Mix well.
- Fill each pepper with mixture. Top with remaining 1 blue container cheese and sprinkle paprika on top
- Bake at 325 for 20-25 minutes